Okay. Conceptual clarity.
HURLED AT : A specific clan of people whose veins and arteries carry Grammar, instead of blood.
HURLED BY : General slaughterers of the English language.
I have this habit of correcting peoples grammatical errors, misspelt words and pronunciations (In my defense, I would like to term it as ‘service to mankind in general’-even if it annoys many 😛 ).
And I wasn’t really aware of this term “Grammar Nazi’ until someone used it for me! A little research and I get to know what it really means:
Grammar Nazi – Someone who habitually corrects grammar and/or spelling mistakes made by others in a conversation, both on and offline.
I did not know whether I should take it as a compliment or a taunt. So whenever you’re confused…or muzzy…switch to the neutral gear..
After all the ahem and uhmms…I accepted that was me… I had unwittingly earned this tag, probably after spending 14 years in the “Convent environment” – where grammar and discipline are the heart and soul, amongst everything else!
But still, to call me a Grammar Nazi? That hurts, na! Grammar Genius or Grammar something else would be fine. But Nazi? Considering history and all…..second thoughts….
I’m sure a lot of you all must have tauntingly had this tag pasted upon you…especially if you’re a Convent product (this also invites the “Convent wale” tag) or even otherwise, if you have a good command over the language.
Well….let’s have a look at common traits and characteristics of Grammar Nazis.
So if you’re a Grammar Nazi (Genius 😛 ) you could totally relate to what I’ve listed!
- Even 10 years after passing out of school, you can rattle the types of tenses and clauses after being woken up from a deep sleep right in the middle of the night!
- The sight and sound of the teeniest grammatical error rings that alert bell in your brain. You raise eyebrows. Your ears prick up. And you’ll have this immediate urge to rectify the detected error right then, right there…sadly enough, it’s not possible always…
- The Wren & Martin is your grammatical Bible. These guys should get their due credit. They stood by you through thick and thin (5th to 12th standard 😛 ). And whenever you looked up to them, you had to do it with a dictionary by your side!
- You yourself face a grammatical dilemma at times! You write something…you look at it…something here just doesn’t look right!! Is the tense wrong? Is the sentence formation right? Punctuation?………..blah! -_-
- The very people who tagged you, will run to you for help when they find themselves in a grammatical crisis!
- You sympathize with your fellow Grammar Nazi brethren!! Whenever the language is murdered in any form anywhere, your eyes will immediately meet! :)(Aaaaah…that sense of reassurance!!)
- And sometimes…those rare golden opportunities where your fellow Grammar Nazi makes an error!! The joy of roasting the poor fellow! XD
- You have your moments of embarrassment too!! It’s like you’ll be making a big fuss about someone’s error and while doing this you’ll unknowingly end up making a mistake…which will be promptly caught by your otherwise unaware-about-grammar fellow!
- Punctuation matters…a LOT! Because you know the entire meaning of the sentence changes owing to the presence or absence of the humble family of commas and full stops!
- And then there are those times when all you can do is sit back and watch the language being slaughtered! It’s free entertainment in its own way 😀 !
I had to be very alert while typing this article! Didn’t want 6 and 7 to be pointed out in the comments section!
If you could relate to the blog and if I’ve missed out on anything, feel free to leave your peculiar Grammar Nazi traits in the comments section!
So people, have fun reading! And thanks a lot for following Bohemian Blues! 🙂
It really encourages me to write and come up with new stuff!! 🙂